Cargin are League Champions again!

Thursday, 10 August 2017

Cargin are League Champions again! thumbnailCargin retained their Antrim senior football league title with a five point victory against Aghagallon and still with a game in hand. GB32GAA1-P50

CARGIN were crowned Antrim senior football league champions last week when they beat Aghagallon by five points at home.
In doing so they retained their title with one game still remaining but with the assistance of their rivals Creggan and St Gall's, both of whom failed to deliver.
Creggan failing to collect the points at Corrigan Park, allowing St John's to draw level with them in second spot while St Gall's came a cropper up at Hannahstown, knocking them out of the runners up spot.
A remarkable achievement for the Toome side who lost just twice in their 16 game campaign, to Creggan and St John's this fifth dropped point coming when St John's held them to a draw.
Aghagallon, beaten by Cargin in the O'Cahan Cup final knew they were up against it again in this league encounter but turned in a remarkable performance in this their first year at this level.
Cargin held sway early on with their scoring machine, Ciaran Close firing over the first of his eight points and Kieran Bradley following with a fifth minute goal to lead by three but the picture was different at the end of the first quarter when the St Mary's side were in front.
Their full forward Ciaran Brady claimed a goal and Gareth Magee struck two beautiful frees and they certainly had recovered from their early set backs.
It was only temporary as Close had other ideas and when set up by Michael McCann and Ciaran Bradley he whacked home his sides second goal and they were again leading the way.
And it got better with a five minute spell which produced four unanswered points, Close on the end of three of them as the visitors continued to huff and puff.
Aghagallon certainly weren't going to bow to the pressure of their more illustrious opponents with their top scorer, centre half back Gareth Magee pointing a couple of frees.
A late Bradley point had Cargin again well in control and they changed ends with a six point advantage, 2-8 to1-5. and it was hard to see what more the St Mary's lads could do the swing this game around.
While they did restart the game on a positive note scoring two early points to a single Close effort and they did continue to pressurise the opposition it was clear that they had a mountain to climb.
*Read the full story in this week's Ballymena Guardian.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete