United celebrate silverware success at Seaview

Thursday, 23 February 2017

United celebrate silverware success at Seaview thumbnailCelebration time at Seaview! Ballymena United, enjoy the celebrations after beating Carrick Rangers 2-0 in the League Cup final on Saturday night! GB0893DP1

GOALS from Allan Jenkins and Conor McCloskey booked Ballymena United their first silverware since David Jeffrey and Bryan McLoughlin took charge at the Showgrounds.
At a packed Seaview on Saturday night the big United support looked on as Jenkins slotted them in front just before half time.
And two minutes into added on time in the second half substitute McCloskey fired in a rocket to seal victory.
The NI League Cup was coming up to Ballymena.
Early on striker Johnny McMurray smashed a volley over before Jenkins did the same with a header.
At the other end T.J. Murray sent a sizzler the wrong side of the bar.
McMurray timed the bounce to perfection and watched in disbelief as Carrick 'keeper Brian Neeson pulled off a stunning one handed save to deny a certain goal.
It looked like it would be scoreless at half time, but William Faulkner drifted, at speed, past several Carrick players before delivering a cross into the box which was side-footed home by a delighted Jenkins - 1-0 United.
In the second half McMurray had an early chance, but Neeson parried. The United striker, set up by Cathair Friel, then shot over.
With a quarter-of-an-hour remaining Lee Chapman committed a foul on the edge of the box, bringing down Fra McCaffrey.
Key Tony Kane and the golden chance to double the lead.
His free-kick was heading into the top of the net - until the outstretched fist of Neeson did enough to touch the effort on to the bar.
Jenkins knows he should have scored in the 76th minute, but from point blank range, following a corner, he blasted the ball almost out of the ground!
Carrick came close to equalising in the 81st minute when from a Steven McCullough free-kick Paddy McNally headed down and Scally headed over.
Carrick sub Nathan McConnell almost made a name for himself, his poke at goal having equaliser written all over it before a crucial save by Ross Glendinning.
With time running down and Ballymena in front boss Jeffrey shouted instructions to man in possession McCloskey to head for the corner flag.
But the ex-Carrick man had just one thing in his mind, and after taking a touch blasted in a missile to send the Sky Blue supporters into raptures!
Full credit to Gary Thompson, back in the first team squad after a lengthy lay off after knee surgery, whose tackle in the middle of the park started the attack which led to goal number two.
United were the new League Cup champions!


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete