News

Council backing for Bombardier campaign

Thursday, 16 November 2017

A UNITE union campaign demanding that the threat to jobs at Bombardier be overturned has received the backing of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council.
Unite requested that council support its motion calling for action to end the threat posed to jobs as the result of the US Commerce Department's proposed 300% surcharge on the company's C Series aircraft.
Unite has highlighted that more than 550 Bombardier employees live within the Mid and East Antrim Borough Council area and two major suppliers to the company are based in Ballymena.
Members agreed to support the campaign at last week's monthly council meeting which was attended by workers from across Bombardier's five production sites in Northern Ireland.
Among the actions agreed by council were to issue a statement of support in relation to the threat of job loses, engage with MP's, write to the Prime Minister, Theresa May and to the US Consulate.
Mayor, DUP Cllr Paul Reid, said: "I am fully aware that a number of our citizens are employed in Bombardier and I feel as Mayor that this is an important step as we take strong support for the retention of these jobs here in Northern Ireland."
DUP alderman, Gregg McKeen, said: "It is appropriate to show our support and to write to the Prime Minister outlining our concerns and offer whatever support we can to Bombardier and through Unite union.
“We know ourselves in Mid and East Antrim the impact around situations like this with Michelin and JTI. The direct effect of employment and the overall supply chain."
DUP Alderman, Tommy Nicholl, said the Bombardier workforce should feel reassured that "council will do all in its power to get the message across to the US".
He added: "As someone who has worked in engineering all my life and as a fellow member of Unite union I will always support my brethren for equality in the workforce.
“I feel we as a council should be pressurising the US, in Donald Trump's camp, to make sure the problems that have been coming forward from Boeing shall be answered by the people who know what is really happening on the ground."
*Full story and pictures in this week's Ballymena Guardian.

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete