News

New PSNI station for Ballymena

Thursday, 15 December 2016

A PROPOSED new PSNI station in Ballymena was approved on Thursday, December 8 by the Policing Board.
The 2016 Estate Strategy details progression towards a 'fit for purpose' estate for the next 35-50 years including planned investment at the St Patrick's Barracks site, subject to available funding.
Anne Connolly, Policing Board chair, said: "As the legal owner of the Police Estate, the board has carefully examined the plan prior to approval and welcomes the capital investment in new stations planned for Ballymena, Armagh and Cookstown."
The Strategy also identifies 12 stations which are already closed which the board has approved for disposal.
Earlier this year the Chief Constable decided to suspend the station disposal process to allow time to review the risks, benefits and implications of the proposals and be personally satisfied that any formal removal of these buildings from the estate were considered against any impact this would have on the community.
Assistant Chief Constable Stephen Martin said: "We are aware that the permanent closure and disposal of stations is an emotive issue and can have an effect on community confidence.
"I'd like to reassure the public that these 12 stations are no longer being used by police operationally and formally disposing of them will save money, such as bills incurred from utility services."

Share

Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete